By now, we’re hoping you all have a few classic shirts and well-tailored suits in your repertoire (if not, it’s time you did). One question we get a lot these days is, now that you’ve got the basics covered, how can you keep reinventing these classic pieces in fresh new ways? The easiest way to do this is with accessories. Aside from your typical selection of ties, belts and shoes, there are so many other accessories with which to change up your look. From pocket squares to tie bars to cufflinks to lapel pins, these accessories will easily add flare to your look, no matter what the occasion. They will instantly transform your classic suit-and-shirt combination every time.
1. Pocket Square: Appropriate for work, for dinners, for black-tie events, for cocktails, etc., the pocket square is the most versatile accessory on this list. Available in a myriad of patterns, fabrics and textures, it’s easy to find a pocket square to suit pretty much any occasion. You can also fold them in countless different ways so that they look different and feel fresh each time.
2. Lapel Pin: A lapel pin is a great accessory for a black-tie or formal event, especially if in a floral motif; a great addition to any tuxedo or formal suit. Alternatively, you can also find a selection of whimsical lapel pins available these days, to add your own personal spin to your everyday wardrobe.
3. Collar Pin: A great accessory for work, the collar pin was designed to push your tie knot up and out, in order to give it better shape. The pin sits beneath the knot of a tie, giving it a platform to rest on, pushing it outward just a little bit. This draws attention to your tie and give it an eye-catching shape. Select a collar pin in a stainless steel or white gold for day, or choose one in yellow or rose gold for evening.
4. Collar Stays: This is a must have accessory that will transform your collars instantly. They are so necessary, in fact, that we at Milk Shirts provide our customers with a pair of stainless steel collar pins with every purchase. What is a collar stay? Basically, it slides into the little slit on the underside of your collar and helps to keep it stiff, giving it a nice sturdy shape. Though the collar stays themselves may not be visible, they are nonetheless and must-have accessory on our list.
5. Cuff Links: If you like the French Cuff look, then you better make sure that you’ve got a good selection of cufflinks to give your shirts and fresh look each time. Choose a cuff link in a classic, clean shape for work, or select something a bit more flashy for a black-tie event. Cufflinks these days can also be a highly personal item, offering whimsical motifs and designs to suit your personality.
6. Tie Bar: Tie bars were originally created to help keep your tie in place in the presence of strong wind. These days, however, they are more of an accessory piece. Select a minimalist tie bar for work, or go with something a bit more luxurious for an evening event. Make sure the proportions of your tie bar are correct: the end of it should never reach the edge of your tie. Make sure a little bit of room (at least 1cm) is left at the edge.